Duties of Editors
1. Publication Decisions
- The editor of a peer-reviewed journal is responsible for deciding which of the articles submitted to the journal should be published, often working in conjunction with the relevant society (for society-owned or sponsored journals). The validation of the work in question and its importance to researchers and readers must always drive such decisions.
- The editor may be guided by the policies of the journal’s editorial board and constrained by such legal requirements as shall then be in force regarding libel, copyright infringement, and plagiarism.
- The editor may confer with other editors or reviewers (or society officers) in making this decision.
2. Fair play
- An editor should evaluate manuscripts for their intellectual content without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, religious belief, ethnic origin, citizenship, or political philosophy of the authors.
- The editor and any editorial staff must not disclose any information about a submitted manuscript to anyone other than the corresponding author, reviewers, potential reviewers, other editorial advisers, and the publisher, as appropriate.
4. Disclosure and Conflicts of Interest
- Unpublished materials disclosed in a submitted manuscript must not be used in an editor’s own research without the express written consent of the author.
- Privileged information or ideas obtained through peer review must be kept confidential and not used for personal advantage. Editors should re-use themselves (i.e. should ask a co-editor, associate editor or other members of the editorial board instead to review and consider) from considering manuscripts in which they have conflicts of interest resulting from competitive, collaborative, or other relationships or connections with any of the authors, companies, or (possibly) institutions connected to the papers.
- Editors should require all contributors to disclose relevant competing interests and publish corrections if competing interests are revealed after publication.
- If needed, other appropriate action should be taken, such as the publication of a retraction or expression of concern. It should be ensured that the peer-review process for sponsored supplements is the same as that used for the main journal. Items in sponsored supplements should be accepted solely on the basis of academic merit and interest to readers and not be influenced by commercial considerations. Non-peer reviewed sections of their journal should be clearly identified.
5. Involvement and Cooperation in Investigations
An editor should take reasonably responsive measures when ethical complaints have been presented concerning a submitted manuscript or published paper, in conjunction with the publisher (or society). Such measures will generally include contacting the author of the manuscript or paper and giving due consideration to the respective complaint or claims made, but may also include further communications to the relevant institutions and research bodies, and if the complaint is upheld, the publication of a correction, retraction, expression of concern, or other note, as may be relevant even if it is discovered years after publication.
|Prof. A.M. Saulawa||Head, Department of History, Sokoto State University, Sokoto||Editor-in-Chief|
|Dr. Attahiru Ahmad Sifawa||Ag. Dean, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Sokoto State University, Sokoto||Editor|
|Hassan Aliyu||Department of Science Education, Sokoto State University||Co-editor|
|Dr. M. A Rufa‘i||Department of History, Sokoto State University, Sokoto||Member|
|Dr. A. B. Bawa||Department of History, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto||Member|
|Dr. I.S. Kankara||Department of History and Security Studies, Umaru Musa Yar‘adua University, Katsina||Member|
|Dr. Yasin Abubakar||Department of History, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto||Member|
|Dr. Nureni Fadare||Department of English Language and Linguistic, Sokoto State University, Sokoto||Member|
|Dr. Godwin O. Onuh||Department of History, Sokoto State University, Sokoto||Member|
|Yusuf Bala||Department of History, Sokoto State University, Sokoto||Member|
|Murtala Marafa||Department of History, Sokoto State University, Sokoto||Secretary|